Pistols > Model HSC Pistol

HSc Production Chart

<< < (2/24) > >>

Diane:
I was able to get a hold of a production chart and it shows it was made in 1970. So you were pretty close. Thanks, Diane.

Ogtree:
Warbird,

I am giving a talk to the Arms Collectors of Georgia, an Atlanta-based group, on 7.62mm German Army pistols of WW2. Your info has already been a great help! Thanks!
Since we have some pretty advanced collectors I wanted some more information on two items:
numbers and serial number ranges of Variation 1 pistols with the small E/655 and the ATP, and with the large E/655 and the ATP
Also, when were the Variation 5 phosphate pistols made, how many were Accepted and what is known about the "right side up" and "upside down" serial numbers on these pistols. I own phosphate pistol #949874 and its serial number is right side up. M1934 # 624225 is also in my collection.
Thanks in advance for any help you may have on these items.

Ogtree

Warbird:
Wecome aboard, Ogtree!  I'm just going to copy excerpts from the HSc research booklet that Peter Theodore and I authored to answer your questions:

"Referring to the reported serial numbers, the end of M1934 production (serial number 628585) can, more than likely, be delineated between HSc 708708 (first HSc with the large Eagle/655) and 710508 (last reported small Eagle/655) or about March, 1941.  Also, the elimination of the Army Test Proof was not a clean break as some non-test proof pistols have been identified as early as 712208 and others with the ATP mark reach up to 715323."

"Mauser made a few HSc pistols using phosphate finishing in combination with plastic grips in the early months of 1944, probably to demonstrate the concept to their customers in the military and police as an alternative to the more expensive and less resilient bluing process.  The first documented HSc with these characteristics was serial number 882447.

882447 - Army (January 1944)      894194 - Army (March 1944)
   891120 - Police (February 1944)   896889 - Police (April 1944)

By February 1945, Mauser modified their HSc production to include phosphate finishing as a wartime expediency.  Much of the subsequent output that year, beginning with 946887 - Army, exhibited this coating."

I have no record of HSc's with inverted serial numbers.  There were a few in the 950300 range with inverted Army Acceptance Marks.  Hope that information helps with your lecture.  Anything else, let me know.

Ogtree:
http://www.p38guns.com/HScGermanPhosphate.htm

Thanks VERY much for your help! I did mean upside down Acceptance stamps, not serial numbers.
The link above shows one of the upside down Acceptance stamps. The pistol belongs to a friend with great photographic talent and a spectacular collection.
I am very much on the lookout for a Variation 1, large E/655 and ATP. My HScs are a tribute to a wonderful great uncle who repaired M4s for the 1st Armored Division.
I look forward to learning more about these wonderful pistols!

Ogtree
Ed Ogletree
Atlanta, GA Metro
edogletree@outdrs.net

Warbird:
You're welcome.  I also hope you meant 7.65mm (=.32 ACP) instead of 7.62mm in your original post.  And I agree, Mark's website is an excellent collectors' reference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version