Author Topic: HSc Break Point  (Read 14291 times)

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
HSc Break Point
« on: May 06, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »
Has anyone noticed the common breaking point location of the WW11 HSc?  I have found a high percentage at upper right, rear slide grove location cracks.  Does anyone equate that to a design flaw or just perhaps hot loads in an old gun.  It seems a bit common in my inspections. 

Jim

Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSc Break Point
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:40:01 PM »
Interesting observation, Jim.  I was reviewing stress points on the rear of the Slide and the only thing I can see is behind the Firing Pin when it cocks the Hammer.  Seems to me if hot loads were used and damage resulted, it would be evident at the front of the Slide around the Barrel Bushing area since that's where it would take the hardest hit.  Maybe I don't understand the location you're describing.  Sounds like you're talking about the rear end of the Slide Rail groove.  Is that it?

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
The slide grove is broken into a front and a rear section.  I am finding the rear of the front slide grove to be damaged more than any other location.  I would think the rear slide grove would take the full affect of the recoil, so I don't understand the failures located in the front section.  It would seem this area of the slide would be safer from damage.  I see it on the right, but not the left side at all.  I would agree, it is an odd location to be for a frame failure.  Every gun I buy that is the first place I check out.

Jim

Jim

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:59 PM »
Jim, any chance you can post photos of the area you are describing?  I'm interested to learn.  Thanks,
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
Let me see, if I can upload attachment.  I have not tried that yet.  The fracture starts as a hair line, then proceeds into an obvious separation both above and below the slide guide.  It also makes the gun difficult to break down.  If you are having a problem with the slide not moving forward on take down be sure and look at this location.  I have seen the slide hang up on that fracture line/separation within the right side guide.     Looking for a good photo now on my files.  Will do my best to post one as soon as possible.

Jim
Jim

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
Please excuse the poor quality. 
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »
So it's on the Frame Rail forward of the Trigger and not the Slide.  I haven't seen that before, Jim, and can't imagine what could have caused it.  Is this high percentage you mention on Early Wartime HSc's with the deep undercut inside the Frame Web or Late Wartime with the shallow undercut?

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
Wow, not what I was expecting from the description.  The photo definitely shows the fracture.  Curious, I don't see this as a stress area, but clearly need to rethink it. Thanks for the photo.  I need to inspect my collection.
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
The photo is from a Variation One.  I have seen this on 1940, 1941,1942 and 1943 production year examples, but not any latter serial numbered examples.  Sure is an odd location for a problem. 

Jim

Jim

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »
They did stop hollowing out the front area eventually. Perhaps the two are related?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Mauser stopped the Frame Web deep undercut (hollowing) during the Transitional Period in late 1942 by serial number 795 000.  It's the only thing that makes sense although it doesn't explain why the crack only occurred on the right side.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
It does appear to be a mystery.

Jim

Jim