Author Topic: Help me ID this C96  (Read 6553 times)

AbyssDncr

• View Profile
Help me ID this C96
« on: January 20, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »

Could anyone help me ID this C96?  Serial no. is 6506XX.  "9mm Parabellum" engraved on the barrel. 500m tangent sight. Bolt stop doesn't match, but everything else appears to thus far.

This specimen just doesn't seem to fit into the standard types of Mausers I see listed on the web.

Thanks!
 8)

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Help me ID this C96
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »
If you want information you should, provide, do not hide, complete serial numbers. In this case it is not important. Your C-96 was refurbished in the 1970s when many of these were imported from China. Refurbished means barrel sleeved to 9mm, engraving added to barrel "9mm Parabellum", refinished, grips replaced, could be made up from mismatched parts. This refurb removed all collector value. If it functions well has shooter value only. It was made from M1930 parts mostly. The sight could be from a WWI era Red-9 as typical m1930s, .30 caliber, Mauser C-96s have sights that go up to 1000m.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

AbyssDncr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »
Thanks, for the reply!  Feedback noted. I only hid the serial, because it's not my personal gun, and I'm researching for a friend (not sure his sensitivity to publishing s/ns...).

Is there any documentation of the Chinese import activity? Not doubting you at all, just curious as I haven't seen any other C96s with the caliber marking on the barrel.  Totally makes sense per our import requirements, but I haven't found an import stamp anywhere either (not sure when that became required though, either).

Thanks again!
 8)

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
Most of the companies that did the importing and rehabs are no longer around. you could search Federal Ordnance Inc., NC, Oyster bay and there were some based in CA. You could do a web search but this was mostly 30 years ago when it was happening. I know that one of them was marking barrel this way.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small