Author Topic: 1914 Mauser with added number to serial?  (Read 10431 times)

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
1914 Mauser with added number to serial?
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
This pistol is for sale and I am sure a few other people have seen it. My question is about the first digit of the serial number. It looks to be a odd font as well as double struck. On this particular pistol the front grip strap is marked S.M.g.69 which is I believe madgeburg police. There is faint remnants of a previous marking that I cannot make out as well.
 So any theory's are welcome including any opinion on if the serial has been bubba tized for whoever knows why or if it's a legit serial number die that was messed up in the factory

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 Mauser with added number to serial?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »
I will need to see pictures of both sides of the whole pistol and the back of the frame to say if the serial number is a correct 6 digit number or if the first digit was added. I have owned a early production 1914 that some one added a number to the slide serial number. I can't tell without seeing more.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:29:13 PM »
These are the side profile pictures. I requested from the seller a photo of the frame serial.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »
The frame serial number should be stamped on the back, all 6 digits. Everything I can see from the 2 photos are consistent with what would be expected on an example in the 200,000 serial number range.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

rob67gt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »
The "2" and perhaps the "8" appear to be restrikes of the original serial.  They both appear to be slightly different fonts and/or sizes.  As you likely know the position of the "2" close end of the slide would get wear to the point some frequently removed and reinserted in a holster would fade.  Thus the recessed area that came into existence in the 1934 model.  The original number(s) appear to be legit and 1914Mauser knows better than most the potential time period and appropriate features for the period.  Nice police example.  These seem to be catching on with some collectors.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:05:48 PM by rob67gt »

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:49:11 AM »
Thank you both for the opinions, the seller while not providing a photo of the serial on the frame States that it matches the slide and has a 3 day inspection period. I am planning on buying it dependent on how much I spend on a gun auction later today and or if someone wants to buy it before I tell the seller they want it

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »
I am in the process of purchasing the pistol in question, will post pictures once it arrives.

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
Here are the pictures. It's all matching with the following parts numbered. Frame, slide, barrel, dissconcter, ejector/hold open, trigger bar. I guess I should say it's not entirely matching as the magazine is numbered but to a different gun. Bore/barrel is mirror.
I also after looking at the frame serial agree with the other posters that said the odd 2 on the slide serial is due to a double strike. I cannot make out what the other markings were on the grip strap but it has had at least two other markings beside the present S.Mg.36
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:10:50 PM by pardt »

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
Let's try another

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 11:10:47 AM »
Interesting police pistol.

It has travelled a bit, markings adjusted when required. It wouldn't surprise me if some arsenal reworker 'improved' the visibility of the serial number on the slide during one of these remarking/reworking transitions.

I like it, it has character.

rob67gt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
Pardt.  Definitely a pistol with some history.  Now if we could just get it to talk!!  I think the markings on these Mauser pocket pistols (and others similar to them) make them very intriguing.  I am also fond of police marked pistols.  I think Vlim is correct that on of the armorers "remarking" this particular pistol took it upon himself to "maintain" the original serial.  Enjoy it!

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »
I am hoping to take it into work one of these days and try magnetic particle on the front grip strap to see if I can lift what the erased markings were. Not sure if the yoke I have access to is sensitive enough but worth a try.