Author Topic: HSc Purchase  (Read 17344 times)

tekmirko

HSc Purchase
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »
Hi, I'm new to Mauser Forum but have been collecting for about five years.

I have an opportunity to buy a HSC with serial 960446.   On line research tents to get very confusing.  I have not been able to find any reference to a serial number this high.  Can anyone point me to right direction if $250 would be worthwhile investment?  Thanks, Tekmirko

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSc Purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
Hello tekmirko:  This HSc was made at the Mauser-Werke in Oberndorf, Germany after World War II ended and while the factory was under French occupation/supervision in October 1945.  Wartime serial numbers ended just below 952000.  Most of these pistols ended up with the French Army, Police, or Foreign Legion.

If it is in really good condition and the serial number on the Barrel matches the last three numbers on the Frame, it's a steal at $250.  Hope that helps.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:46:56 PM »
A greenish tint to the finish is correct.  This is called a "phosphate" finish.  There will probably be (but not always) an intertwined "WR" final inspection mark on the left side of the Trigger Guard web just forward of the Grip.  The correct vintage Magazine will have a half-moon indent at the forward end of the Floorplate or base.  The Magazine will probably also have a phosphate finish to match the pistol.

That's about it.  Looking forward to some pictures when you get it.  Anything else, let me know.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:04:12 AM »
Looks like we might be having a communication issue here, Martin.  I never said there was supposed to be a serial number on the Slide, so I don't know where that came from.  Only the wartime HSc had that marking and I don't see any in the photos. 

Secondly, the WR stamp is on the LEFT side of the Trigger Guard web.  I never said there was supposed to be a mark on the right side.  Again, only the wartime HSc had a Test Firing Proof Mark (Eagle/N from the Ulm Proof House) on the right side.

And finally, from the photos it sure looks like this pistol has a blue finish and not phosphate.  Are you sure it's not blue?  So, bottom line, this HSc is a good example of Post-War production.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »
It would be difficult to judge condition from photographs.  I do see some pitting which would not be uncommon since the French sent many of these HSc's to their troops in tropical Southeast Asia (Vietnam).  You have to be the judge of condition and to review, this is the general criteria:
    Finish      Condition     Definition
 99%+          Like New      Like new condition.
 98%-99%    Excellent      Very minor surface wear on high edges.
 95%-98%    Very Good    Minor surface wear and defects.
 85%-95%    Good            Moderate surface wear and defects.
 25%-85%    Fair              Well worn but functional.
 <25%         Poor             Non-functional parts gun.

Hope that helps.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
I sure could not make out the serial number on the slide.  Better luck with more photos and alternate lighting.

Jim

Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
Now that's a confusing statement, Jim.  How could more photos or lighting reveal something that's not there! 

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
Photo 5690 and the following photo posted.  They just looked a little too dark for my eyes to tell the electro penciled numbers.  You always have better eyesight than me.

Jim

Jim

tekmirko

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
As you all can tell, I'm still very new to forum community and use his type of program.  sorry for confusing post, I don't know but somehow I started to get duplication of preview and couple error messages.  So I;m not sure what actually got posted.  I appreciate all efforts to educate me on HSC pistols.  In regards to serial number, I have been only able to confirm full serial number is on lower grip and last three digits on the barrel.  I have seen some electro penciled digits on other HSCs, but should this French production have a SN at end of muzzle end?
Thanks, Tekmirko

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
Don't know why you deleted all your posts and pictures but you did!  Anyway, I don't like repeating myself so see Reply #3.

tekmirko

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
Warbird, Thanks for your information..I have lot to learn about HSCs and how to use this program.  its finally mine for $225 with the holster.  See attached photo.  Tekmirko
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:46:23 AM by tekmirko »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »
From your picture, Martin, it looks like a blue Slide mounted on a phosphate Frame .  The Trigger is the later (correct) pressed sheet metal type instead of machined.  The tip of the left Grip that curves over the Trigger is broken off.  The Holster is German Army style (are there any markings on it?).  Still a great buy at $225.

tekmirko

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
Warbird, No markings on holster as I can tell.  I attached few pics of frame/slide.  Except for front part of frame being worn, inside and rest of frame is very dark and matches inside of slide. Tekmirko

tekmirko

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
Warbird, One more better pic of trigger.  Tekmirko

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
What a great price. 

Jim
Jim