Author Topic: Reassembly  (Read 12501 times)

Postullio

• View Profile
Reassembly
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
OK, first I'm new to the site and the gun so forgive me if this question has been previously answered. I was recently asked my an older veteran  that apparently brought a pistol home from overseas if I could put it back together for him. As an amateur collector I clearly jumped at the chance. However as it turns out I'm completely unfamiliar with the pistol and can't for the life of me figure it out. I've exhausted all my resources amongst my friends and coworkers and I was wondering if anyone could help.

I know I need the grips, which I'm currently working on acquiring. My biggest issue seems to be that there is a specific order of events that need to be followed to get everything in working order. I've seen several exploded views of the pistol and it seems like I have all the parts, but I can't get everything in exactly the right place to get it all working properly.

If anyone knows how, or of a manual or anything that will help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll try and post a picture of what I'm working with.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Reassembly
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:09 PM »
OK, Postullio, let's see if I can help.  It's been a few years but first thing is we have to get the Hammer Strut and Hammer installed.  I can't remember if the Hammer will drop in from the top or up from the bottom.  Either way, have it loosely in place after the Hammer Strut is in place with the Hammer Strut Pin installed at the bottom of the Frame.  By the way, the Hammer is backwards in your photo so be sure to turn it around.

The notch at the top of the Strut mates with the Pin already installed in the Hammer.  Your going to have to force the Hammer down against the Mainspring pressure on the Strut and install the Hammer Hinge Pin from the right side of the Frame to hold it all together.  Let me know when this part is complete and we'll move on.  And please get some oil on everything!

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
I am anxious to see how this turns out.  Good luck on your project.

Jim
Jim

Postullio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 11:54:56 AM »
ok, so i seem to have everything in the proper place thanks to your post, however it seems like the hammer or something near it isn't sitting right.  i have the hammer sitting on the strut but when i go to try and cock it, it either clicks down once and then locks or doesn't move. I have a feeling I'm missing a step or putting something in the wrong place. Works been a little crazy so I haven't been able to really play with it but when I get a chance I'll send a picture or where I think the problem is.  Thanks again, I've gotten a lot further than I had before thanks to your post.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
The Trigger Bar is probably out of place.  You must cock the Hammer before dropping in the Trigger Bar and Disconnector.

Postullio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »
OK, more progress and yet another setback. The hammer now moves which is good but it's definitely not right. I feel like the metal piece sticking up is somehow out of place. I'll send pics. Also the grips I ordered don't have the right depth for the screws but that's an easy fix.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »
What grips did you order???

Jim
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »
The piece sticking up is the Guide Lever and you're right, it should be laying down flat inside the Sear.  I have no idea why it is out of place unless someone removed the Sear assembly and reinstalled it incorrectly.  For now, try pushing it down into place.

Postullio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 09:12:05 PM »
jcorl: i ordered royalwood grips. I don't even think it's real wood.  I'm a little upset, but that's what i get for not reading the description better.  They  don't fit flush to the frame in places and the whole for the screw isn't shallow enough for the screw to reach the frame.  I'm gonna go back online and look for something better.  If you know of a place that has good ones, please let me know.  I don't want to order another bad set.

Warbird:  I got it finally and as you requested, I oiled it up a little.  Once i get new grips I'm going to give it a good once over and really clean it, but not so much to ruin the patina.  I can't thank you enough, and I'm sure the 90 year old vet it gonna be pretty psyched about it also.  I'll send a pic when I get the new grips and fire it.  Hopefully it doesn't blow up in my hand.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »
Congratulations on getting it together.  I also thought those grips you described were wood.  I appreciate you posting the information.  There is one manufacture out there that I have not purchased from.  N. C. Ordinance, Inc. sells walnut reproduction grips.   They look good, but pricey at $120.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:10:09 PM by jcorl »
Jim

Postullio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:24:49 PM »
N.C. ordinance is actually who I bought the first grips from. I just bought a plastic set from someone else hoping not to spend too much more and they don't fit either. My father in law used to make furniture so I'm gonna see if he can fix a set so I can actually fire it.

Postullio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »
Good news, I fired it and it didn't explode in my hand. It jammed a couple of times but that may have been either the I'll fitting grips or the way I was holding it. Can't thank you guys enough for the help.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 12:08:38 PM »
Congratulations on your efforts.   I tip my hat to you!

Jim
Jim

gorseks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »
Hi all, i am having a similar issue as posted here and have followed the above steps.  (I am replacing the hammer on my 1943 HSc with another wwii hammer purchased and bothl parts match and no signifcant wear on the replacement hammer;  the original hammer thumb grip broke off when firing).

I had the same problem of the guide lever sticking up, then pushed it down before placing the hammer hinge pin.   Pistol then re- assembled properly and all functioning except one issue;

I can remove the magazine when the slide is in resting position, but cannot remove the magazine after the slide is racked back/locked position, no matter how i press the magazine catch release  (unless i reach in through the ejector port, press down on the magazine follower and let the slide move forward; i can then release the magazine). 

Any thoughts or ideas?

Much appreciated,  steve

gorseks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
Sorry, forgot to add photos