Author Topic: Reassembly  (Read 12429 times)

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Reassembly
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »
As you apparently know, the Magazine Follower is holding the Slide open until the Magazine drops down and the Magazine Safety is timed in to continue to hold the Slide open.  So in the condition you mention, to remove the Magazine with the Slide open, you have to overcome the pressure of the Recoil Spring.  If the Recoil Spring is too heavy, i.e., from a .380 HSc, it will be very difficult to remove the Magazine with the Slide open.

Other than that, a burr on the Follower or Slide below the Firing Pin port could cause the Magazine to hang up when trying to eject it.  Or anything else rough in the top of the Magazine Well that would hold it with all the pressure of the Recoil Spring pushing the Magazine forward.

Hope that gives you some places to investigate.  Let me know how you make out.

gorseks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »
thanks Warbird;  I will start working on this and get to the bottom of it.  I ordered new spring (relatively inexpensive) and will check that process out.  I will keep you posted.

gorseks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 12:20:17 AM »
Okay, I have it re-assembled and working properly now.  All the tips helped tremendously.

One question;  late war and mid-war range magazines;  are they interchangeable.  I have noticed that when I purchased another HSc off gun broker SN 897260 (and by the way, thanks for the input on the grips issue), the magazine from the mid-war HSc (SN 781899) does not chamber rounds very well in the late war HSc, if at all.  Just a coincidence for this magazine or a standard difference in the types of magazines.

Much appreciated, Steve

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 05:29:29 AM »
All the Wartime Magazines should fit equally well.  The only change was in the Floorplate or Base which would have no influence on the feed.  Most likely cause of a feed problem would be damage to the Magazine lips or the Wartime Magazine tube was replaced by a New Model (1970s vintage).  The later Magazine is very slightly wider to accommodate .380 rounds.