Author Topic: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Finally! First post. New member  (Read 4307 times)

Checkman

• View Profile
Hello. I've lurked here for awhile, but finally joined. I own one of the Belgian Mauser rifles that was converted to .308 by the Israelis and the Spanish Mauser carbine in .308, but what I have wanted for over thirty-five years is a Broomhandle. In particularly a Bolo. Why? No idea. I would have to go back to 1979 and ask my eleven year old self what is was about the Bolo that caught my fancy. Well I recently got one and I have decided it's time to join this forum.

I finally picked up a Mauser 'Bolo' Broomhandle about two weeks ago. It was at an estate auction and I came in second. There were two Broomhandles and this Bolo. The winner took the Red 9 and I got to go next since I was the runner-up. I went for the Bolo. Mechanically it's in good shape. Much of the bluing is gone and the grips are aftermarket, but it's still a genuine Mauser Broomhandle Bolo with all matching parts (as in all matching serial numbers).......with the exception of the grips. This has been one of my grail guns for many decades. I'm not a wealthy man so I buy what I can afford. This one set me back about $800.00. It isn't pretty , but the pistol is in good mechanical condition. I consider it to be a good quality shooter. I took it apart (wow the engineering that went into this pistol is incredible) and everything is solid. The bolt stop is not cracked. The bore is in good condition, but there is some pitting. The safety works like it's supposed to. The magazine spring is a little worn out and I'm going to replace the recoil spring and main spring as well, but I believe there will be no trouble firing it. I've wanted a Broomhandle ,especially the Bolo variant, since I was literally in fifth grade (1979). It, alongside the Webley Mk VI and the S&W Model 27 with the 3.5" barrel, are my Grail Guns. I now have the Webley and the Mauser.  Yes I plan on shooting it. I now have ammo that I got from Midway and I've ordered springs from Wolff.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:01:51 AM by Checkman »