Author Topic: Early Bolo Mauser Looking for information chambered in .30 luger  (Read 9050 times)

mscoble

• View Profile
Hi,
I have a bolo mauser but it is not a typical one. serial # 42,XXX so circa 1904-5 all serial numbers match and it has the early black (bakite?) grips with a shield and stylized letters inside which also have a matching serial number(see photos).  Ok, so looks nice, shoots nice, but it is in .30 luger (which seems odd) and it does not have the luger like step in the barrel by the muzzle like a typical bolo. I thought well maybe a post WW-I re-barrel, but no tell tale seams inside or out even with a magnifier. The grips are original and the grip size is a bolo with no evidence of modification. I love shooting it but as a collector would like to understand what I have. Any help is appreciated.  Matt
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:33:25 PM by mscoble »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Early Bolo Mauser Looking for information chambered in .30 luger
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »
From the 3 pictures provided it looks like a very nice early C96 Bolo. Are you certain it is in a 7.65 mm/.30 Luger and not in 7.63 mm/.30 caliber Mauser as most C96s are? I do not know if it is possible to fire a 7.65 mm/.30 Luger in a 7.63 mm/.30 Mauser without damaging it. It this is the case the only explanation I can come up with is that it has been re-chambered to fire the Luger round as I do not believe Mauser made any C96s in .30 Luger. The outer appearance of the pistol appearse to be original and does not have the wear one would expect to see in an example that the bore had been shot out and needed to be lined or re-bored but again only 3 pictures.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

mscoble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »
I was surprised it was in 30 luger, I was sold to me as a 30 mauser caliber weapon, but 30 mauser is too long for the chamber. I shot .30 caliber luger so I tried a luger case and it worked fine. I put a scope down the bore but no evidence of any work in the chamber or barrel and the barrel has not been relined. I have more photos so I will post a couple more.-Matt

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »
and it does not have the luger like step in the barrel by the muzzle like a typical bolo.

Matt,

I guess it is possible. The one thing I have learned about Mauser is that anything is possible. What do you mean by "Luger like step"?
I guess it could of been a special order. The early Bolos are rare and have many variations. It is a beautiful example and you woud be lucky to have it even if it was in the typical .30 Mauser chambering.

Regards,

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:47:49 PM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

mscoble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
Thanks for the information, by luger like step, I mean the typical bolo similar to a luger has the same sort of muzzle treatment. I attach a photo of another bolo, not mine, with the muzzle I refer to. I have never seen a bolo without that step, have you?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 04:02:21 PM »
Matt,

Thank you.. Now I understand what you are saying and yes most Bolos have a front sight band but I do think I have seen ones without. In any case it is far less common for them not to have the band. You have a very unique Bolo. A Mauser anomaly.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

xxu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
The general shape of the barrel does look correct for this s/n. Most likely, this gun was converted from a rare long barrel bolo. Unlike regular bolo, long barrel bolo did not have sight band. Looks to me one previous owner shortened the barrel, and welded the original front sight on this new location.

Of course, this was not done in its collector stage. It's done in its tool stage long long time ago.

mscoble

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 06:25:45 PM »
Hello, Thank you for your response. I have several books on broomhandles but have never heard of a long barrel bolo. When you say the barrel shortening would have been done in the tool stage what do you mean, that is not a term I am familiar with. Thanks, Matt

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »
Long barrel Bolos are usually found in post war Bolos in the 400,000 serial number range. I do not believe this is a conversion from a long barreled example.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

xxu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 01:23:11 PM »
Hello, Thank you for your response. I have several books on broomhandles but have never heard of a long barrel bolo. When you say the barrel shortening would have been done in the tool stage what do you mean, that is not a term I am familiar with. Thanks, Matt

It's not common. But there were some, in both prewar and postwar.