Author Topic: Not sure what I have  (Read 8796 times)

machinist

• View Profile
Not sure what I have
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »
So, I was getting into my car in the parking lot after work today and a middle aged guy gets out of his truck and approaches me. He asked if i was the Jim HXXXXX that used to be the armorer for 36XXth maintenance company (I happen to work on that post again). That was over 30 years ago but I assented that I was. He handed me a cardboard box and said "here, dad died and wanted you to have this". He refused to answer any questions and all I got was the make, model and plate number of his truck. I opened the box and found what looked like a Mauser 1914 (serial number 605XXX) I now know I have a 1934. The poor thing is missing a magazine, both grip screws and has been spray painted silver. It also has franzite imitation ivory grips. So I took it apart and cleaned it and it is in pretty good shape. Have ordered a mag and grips, will make the screws myself. looks like acetone will clean the paint off but I may cerakote it. Any comments?

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure what I have
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »
It sounds like you know you have a 1934 Mauser pocket model in .32 caliber/7.65 mm. It sounds like it needs some attention to be put right. A aftermarket magazine may not function correctly.
I would need to see pictures and see if it has markings that would make it more valuable and worth acquiring original replacement parts. Refinishing it would remove any collector value it may have.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

machinist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
I agree with you on all accounts as I am no stranger to firearms work. There is no value added to refinishing unless it is a shooter. The Dreaded Previous Owner had used a wire brush on the pistol and the original finish (which looked to be a nice patina) is damaged and I am not going to start a hot bluing process again. the bulk of my work is not for people that appreciate fine firearms. I may rust blue it if the finish is not too damaged once I remove all the paint. Here is a picture showing the markings.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
It is too bad about the finish. The markings are WWII German Army acceptance markings. It is one of an estimated 8000 pistols marked this way. Would of been worth over $1000 if in very good original condition.

http://p38guns.com/1934MauserArmy.htm

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

machinist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:21:21 PM »
I will clean it up this weekend with some acetone and see what is underneath. will post pictures.

machinist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »
here is the left side, doesn't look too good

machinist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 09:59:39 PM »
Right side, at least all the serial numbers match.

any suggestions on what I should do? at this point, I think it is not good for much except as a shooter.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:26:46 AM »
If it were mine I would seriously consider restoration. A correct hot salt blue and original grip would make a nice place holder for some one who cannot afford one in original condition. Just MHO.

Regards,

B. Mason
aim small, mis small

pardt

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
I am Not normally a proponent of restoring guns but this would be a excellent candidate for that and woube the route I would probably take if it was mine.