Author Topic: Dismount button problems  (Read 6012 times)

Cab308

• View Profile
Dismount button problems
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »
i have an HSc that the slide dismount button inside the trigger guard will not depress far enough to allow the slide to disengage.  Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions for a fix?  Everything else on the pistol works fine.
Cecil

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dismount button problems
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »
Welcome, Cab308.  I believe you are referencing the Barrel Latch.  It can get very stiff over time since it is seldom cleaned thoroughly.  I suggest you spray some WD40 into it from the Trigger Guard then get a hard nylon (plastic) instrument to apply as much pressure as possible, pushing it into the Trigger Guard.  Take care not to mar the finish doing this.

Just want to also be sure you clear the Chamber, cock the Hammer, and put the Safety ON before attempting to move the Barrel Latch.  When the Latch is depressed, you have to move the Slide forward and up to disassemble.

Let me know how you make out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:00:18 AM by Warbird »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 02:18:45 PM »
Yes, I have had that problem Cab 308.  You got good advise on the fix.  Good luck with the take down.

Jim
Jim

Cab308

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
Well lots of oil, some not so gentel persuation with a tack hammer and a punch and I got the slide off. More oil and lots of repetitions later and its starting to work smothly again. Thanks for the help guys, l just needed the encouragement to use a bigger hammer!
Cecil

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 03:10:17 PM »
Now that you have the Slide off, you might want to remove the Barrel Latch for cleaning.  Push it in about halfway and turn 180° to lift out.  Don't forget there is a Spring behind it.  Reverse procedure to reinstall.

Cab308

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »
Warbird,
Dont see how the latch can be turned. Its about a 1/4 by 1/2 and butts up against a cross member in the frame.  What am I missing?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 03:31:36 PM »
If you push it in far enough it will clear the Frame enough to rotate.

Cab308

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »
OK, got her fixed now. A little dab of grease seems to have done the trick. Thanks for all your help.
Cecil