Author Topic: Gunsmith for Mauser Broomhandle Needed  (Read 4308 times)

foggbird

Gunsmith for Mauser Broomhandle Needed
« on: December 31, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »
I have a Broomhandle that won't let the hammer down.  Meanwhile the safety lever swings freely.  I assume that the safety is broken or jammed.  I understand that YouTube has wonderful instructions on disassembling Broomhandles, but that doesn't do me any good.  Life as a Mechanical Idiot is difficult.  I also need a gunsmith to check the rest of the gun too.  I want to make sure it is safe to fire. 

I have been looking all over the Web.  Thomas Thurman of The Broomcloset died recently.  Jim Green of Down East Gun Works is now making more money driving a gravel truck than gunsmithing.  I need to find a qualified gunsmith.  Please help!

John

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Gunsmith for Mauser Broomhandle Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:05:06 PM »
Foggbird,

My guess would be that the safety lever may be the cause preventing the hammer fall. I do not know Jim but would of recommended Tom if he hadn't passed. It might help to know where you are located for someone to suggest someone. I would offer to take a look but I am not a professional gunsmith nor do I have a source for replacement parts which may be necessary to effect a repair. I would suggest posting this same question on GunBoards.com or Still's luger forum. Gunsmiths for these older guns are disappearing as fast as our WWII veterans are. If you find someone and have good service please post their contact information so others with similar problems will have a source for repair.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small