Author Topic: Caring and Storage of Leather Holsters and Slings  (Read 9641 times)

jmiles1960

• View Profile
Caring and Storage of Leather Holsters and Slings
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »
Guys - what do you use to preserve leather on vintage holsters and slings? Any specific product or treatment? Recommendations for storage to prevent the leather from drying out and cracking? Thanks for the help.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Caring and Storage of Leather Holsters and Slings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »
Hi Jim:  I'm not into leather but, for the few items I have, I've been treating them for years with Pecard Leather Conditioner.  Here's their website:  www.pecard.com.

jmiles1960

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. It was available through Amazon also. Excellent reviews. 

jmiles1960

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
Good results with the Pecard Antique leather product. I tried it on a somewhat worn military CZ holster.  the product did not remove any of the color and did a good job of moisturizing the dry areas of the holster. It did not leave any noticeable residue either; you work it into the leather with your hands.  Did not alter the gloss or finish in anyway.  Looks good.

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
Just for some variety I have used Pecard's and Connolly's hide care products and I like Connolly's somewhat better. Jerry Burney (Lugar Holster Repair) recommended Connolly's to me.  If you get Connolly's it will be separated in the jar.  Just heat it in the microwave for 5 or 6 seconds and stir.  Then it's ready to use.  Apply with an old tooth brush.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:28:07 AM by donp326 »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
I wonder if it works on dried , cracked leather found mostly at the top of the fold?

Jim
Jim

donp326

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
It won't close the cracks but it will remoisturize the area and prevent further cracking.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
Thanks Don
Jim

Moosedog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »
Actually Pecards will give you a quick shine and will moisten the leather, but long term, petroleum based products will actually help deteriorate leather. On vintage leather the best recommendation is Connolly Hide Care which is a Lanolin based product. Rather expensive but so are vintage leather items.
It is the only product recommended for use on Jaguar leather interiors by the car company.