Author Topic: Looking for info on date of manufacture  (Read 5911 times)

dpm010101

• View Profile
Looking for info on date of manufacture
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »
Gentlemen

My first post ended up under the wrong subject heading so I’m trying again. 

I just acquired a Model 1914.  I would like very much to know what year it was manufactured
 and any other information that might be available.

Serial #: 28309.  # is stamped on the left front of the slide and at the rear of the frame. 309 appears on the barrel lug and at the bottom of the side plate adjacent to the trigger.  The front sight is ramped with horizontal lines milled into the face.  The right hand side of the slide has no markings and a "pocket" milled into the frame directly above the grip.  Behind the rear sight are stamped a crown above a crown above a U.  In front of the rear sight is a mark that I am unable to describe.  The address, located on the left side of the slide, is one line in capital letters: WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.G. OBERNDORF A.N.MAUSER'S PATENT.  The Mauser Logo appears below the address on the side plate.  It came with one-piece wooden grips that wrap around the back and have checkering on both sides.

Any assistance that you gentlemen could provide will be greatly appreciated.

dpm010101

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on date of manufacture
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
Your .32 caliber Mauser pocket model was in fact made in 1914. The marking in front of the rear sight is an Imperial acceptance mark which is a Gothic letter. Everything in your description is consistent with what I call a 1914 War era variation.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

dpm010101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
Thanks for responding.

Does the Imperial acceptance mark mean it was used by the military?

Best regards

Dave

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »
Yes, accepted for use by WWI Imperial German army. It would of been an issued sidearm.
B. Mason
aim small, mis small

dpm010101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Since you've been so kind as to answer my questions, I have another.

What does the crown over the crown over the "U" proof marks signify?

Thank you again,

Dave

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
Hello Dave, the crown/crown U proof marking was applied by the official proof house in Württemberg, where Mauser was located. It was legally required to have all guns test fired with an over pressure test round in order to check if the gun is safe and reliable. After passing the test, the gun is marked ('proofed') to signify it underwent the test with good results.

Other German states used a crown/N proof marking. Both the crown/N and the crown/crown/U were followed by an eagle/N in 1940. After WW2, West-Germany introduced a variation of the eagle/N as a proof marking, and only just recently a few years ago the eagle/N was followed by a CIP/N marking.

dpm010101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »
Gentlemen

My sincerest thanks for responding and giving me some insight into my newly acquired firearm.  I often marvel at the existence of forum sites like this one where people share their knowledge with others.  This and several other research efforts would have been unsuccessful were it not for folks like you.  Bravo!

Best regards,

Dave

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 06:45:41 AM »
Dave,

I believe Vilm would agree that, it is one of the joys of research and learning to be able to share gained knowledge to help others who share your interest.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small