Author Topic: Extractor/springs/plunger lost when firing  (Read 4731 times)

Kal765

• View Profile
Extractor/springs/plunger lost when firing
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:03:03 PM »
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what has been happening with my 1941 HsC. On two occasions I have lost the extractor, both plungers, and the extractor spring when firing the gun. The first time I recovered the extractor and both plungers, then ordered a spring kit from Wolff to replace the spring. One shot out of the "fixed" gun and all the same parts launched into space. I found all of them using a magnet pickup tool and re-installed them.  Both times that I lost the extractor I had loaded the magazine to the full 8-round capacity and had trouble getting the first round to load ( I use FMJ ball ammo), but eventually got the round to chamber. Then when first round was fired the extractor and related parts blew out of the gun.
   When I got the gun re-assembled the second time , I was cautious and put a strip of electrical tape across the extractor to hold it in place. I then loaded the magazine with only 7 rounds. The gun fired and extracted perfectly, including two re-loads with seven rounds each time. I am reluctant to fire the gun without the tape strip holding the extractor in, I was fortunate to recover the parts twice already and don't want to go looking for them again! Does anyone have an idea what may have happened here--did t
loading 8 rounds into the mag/failure to feed bump the extractor out to where it was able to fall out easily? Is the spring not putting enough pressure on the extractor  to hold it in place? Any thoughts welcome!

Thank you, George

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Extractor/springs/plunger lost when firing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
You are installing the Extractor Spring and Plungers with the Safety Lever removed, correct?

Kal765

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »
I did not, I installed them from the extractor end. The plungers seemed to lock into the detents okay. Should I have installed them from the safety end?

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
Yes.  I don't see how you got the Extractor to lock in position by installing the way you describe unless it's worn down.  So ... Safety Lever partially out, Extractor installed, Plungers and Spring installed from the Safety end, Safety repositioned.

Kal765

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »
Thanks, Warbird. I have re-installed as you described and will give it a try. The extractor shows very little wear, this gun has not been fired much. I wonder if the replacement spring is not strong enough? It has about ten coils but since I lost the original I have nothing to compare it to.
  Thanks for the advice!

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
An original Extractor Spring has about 20 coils but since we don't know if there is a difference in strength of the material, only test firing will tell if your Spring is strong enough.  Wolff has a good reputation for their Springs.  Does your pistol extract all rounds from a Magazine smoothly when moving the Slide by hand?  Let us know how it does when fired.

Kal765

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »
No luck so far! I fired the gun, and the extractor and springs came out at the second round. I had cycled the slide by hand as suggested and the gun smoothly ejected an entire magazine. Then I took the slide off and fitted a cartridge under the extractor, it was held straight against the breechblock even when turned upside down and gently shaken.
  Once again I wonder if the new spring I put in is not long or strong enough, it goes in quite easily. Since I lost the original I had nothing to compare to, but I installed the only spring in the Wolff kit that seemed to fit. I have ordered an extractor spring from another source to see whether there is a difference. To be continued....