Author Topic: New member with disassembly problem  (Read 3923 times)

gwpeeler

• View Profile
New member with disassembly problem
« on: April 13, 2017, 05:39:05 PM »
Hello. Just bought my first 1914 last week. Serial number 181848. Can anyone date this closer than 1914 to 1923? I love the gun, great fun to shoot but I'm having a disassembly problem. I've watched the disassembly videos and read everything I could find to read and I think I'm doing it right. I lock the slide back, take the barrel out, pull the mag out and in, slowly let the slide forward till I can let the striker fall and then remove the mag. The slide will then move forward about 1/4 inch and comes to a dead stop against something. I can remove the grips, push the mag release spring back out of its notch and pull it down a half inch or so and then the slide will slide off. I"ve pulled the mag release spring all the way out and reinstalled it.  Same problem with next disassembly. I've read that the spring can be installed wrong. Can anyone help?  Thanks, Wayne!

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: New member with disassembly problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Wayne,

Welcome to the forum. The top of the magazine catch spring goes in front (toward barrel end) of the round protrusion on the hold open catch. Sometimes the slide will hang up on the hold open. It just takes some lube, practice and break in to get them to come a part easy. 1918 is year of manufacture.

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:35:32 AM by 1914mauser »
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

gwpeeler

• View Profile
Re: New member with disassembly problem
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:04:16 AM »
Thank you very much!  I believe the magazine release spring is going behind the nub when I push it back in. I'll try to get it right.
Wayne