Author Topic: Kar. 98 1913  (Read 5304 times)

64billy

• View Profile
Kar. 98 1913
« on: April 19, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
Picked up a mislabeled Kar. 98 at a local gun shop.  They had it labeled as Belgian(Danzig in Belgium?).  Anyway, I foolishly sold most of my WWI collection when Clinton was elected and have since moved on.  So, I thought I could make a few bucks and plan to sell it.  Any body around who knows what it is worth?  Condition:  little blue left, lots off dents and nicks, perfect bore, mismatched bolt and front band.  Cool stuff:  five tally notches on the comb of the stock, the stock also has a scraped out area where the stahlhelm(sic?) rubbed it, ( My 1914 Enfield has the same scrape). and infantry swivels screwed on.  I bet it looks exactly as it did when it left the trenches.  The thing makes one's hair stand on end when handling it.   The owners widow sold a large collection to the gun store, and I suspect got royally S*******d.  I wish I knew it's story.  I'm a retired historian by trade, and wish people would leave the story under the butt plate like some Swiss do with their rifles.  any way, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:30:26 PM by 64billy »

64billy

• View Profile
Re: Kar. 98 1913
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
Pictures continued...

DAK

Re: Kar. 98 1913
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:32 PM »
Your rifle is worth between $300 and $450.  The bluing does not look worn off--it looks like it has been chemically stripped.  Even on heavily-worn rifles, there is some bluing left in low areas.  The kill notches are not likely wartime original--they were likely added at a later time to try and sell a story.  I have never seen kill marks on a weapon that is in original condition: somehow they are always on firearms with major condition issues.