Author Topic: 3 HSc Issues - Newbie  (Read 5728 times)

Gray Ghost

• View Profile
3 HSc Issues - Newbie
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »
I need some input on a problem I am having with my HSc.  I purchased a Nice early war model w/ all the proper waffenampts and matching serial numbers along with it's holster.  There were two problems I noticed  when I got it.

The first was the trigger would not reset unless I let it snap forward quickly.  I solved that by replacing the trigger spring from a set of early war parts I fell into.

The second problem was that when the slide was locked back and I started to remove the magazine the slide would snap closed.  Solved that by replacing the Mag safety and it's tiny spring.  Function checked, now everything worked like it was suppose to.

The third problem is when I load 6 rounds in the magazine and insert it into the pistol, either the cartridge only feeds part way and jams or fails to feed.  The weird thing is sometimes I insert the mag and the slide stays locked back and does not move.  I don't understand this since I can insert  a empty mag and it shuts, so I would think a loaded mag would at least release the slide.  If I load 5 rounds in the mag the pistol feeds like it is suppose to some of the time.  If I load 4 or less the pistol feeds properly all of the time.  I have two mags.  the same thing happens with both.  The one is early war with the Mauser logo on the bottom and the other is a later war with the cresent indent.  I am thinking weak magazine  springs but I don't know.

I could sure use some help figuring this out.  THANKS.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3 HSc Issues - Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
Welcome, Gray Ghost.  I want to help you here but I'm getting mixed signals.  First of all, the Magazine trips the Magazine Safety to release the Slide and has nothing to do with the number of rounds loaded.  I suspect your feed problem comes from a weak Magazine Spring (as you suggested) or, more commonly, from a weak Recoil Spring.  So why don't you start there and replace them from Wolff's Gunsprings.

By the way, there is no "p" in "Waffenamt" and we like to share information, i.e., I help you with your problem and you share your serial number and HSc specifics with me.  Let me know what you will do next.

Gray Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
Warbird,

Thanks for the imput.  I have a spare wartime spring and a Wolf recoil spring.  I'll install the Wolf spring in case the other war time spring has issues.  I have ordered 3 mag. springs from wolf and will install them as soon as they get here.  I'll post an update on the results.

I know that it makes no sense, but with 6 rounds in the mag sometimes, not always the slide would stay in the rearward position even when the mag was fully inserted.  I know logic dictates that should not happen, but it did.  If I understand how it works, the upper edge of the mag. body pushes up the front of the mag. safety which lowers the rear of the mag. safety and releases the slide.  When the slide did not close I would start to remove the mag. and the slide would snap forward like it may have been hung up.  That's the best way I can describe what happend. 

I know just enough to get me in trouble.  So far what I've done has been fairly simple since I have not had to do any real disassembly.

Let me know what you mean by HSc speciffics and I'll PM the info. to you.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:47:28 AM »
OK, PM sent with specifics.  Meanwhile, check that there is no lateral play in the Magazine Safety, look for wear on the Safety end that engages the Slide, and for wear in the Slide notch.  Be sure the Safety is well lubricated for freedom of full movement.  Also be sure there is no impediment in the Magazine Well entrance that would hinder the Magazine from seating fully.  The Magazine has a 8-round capacity, how does it do with a full load?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:53:42 AM by Warbird »

Gray Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:09:20 PM »
PM sent with info.

There is very little lateral play. I checked the end of the mag. safety were it goes up into the slide notch.  The is some bluing loss but no apparent wear.  I did find a little crude in the slide notch and cleaned that out.  I made sure to lube the mag. safety.

While I had the pistol apart I installed the new Wolf recoil spring.  Until it takes a set it is a real bear to get the barrel back in the slide.  There must be some trick that I don't know.

I pulled the mauser marked mag apart with some effort.  I cleaned the 1940's crude out of it and polished the follower and inside of the mag with fitz.  Still waiting on the new Wolf springs, so cleaned the original.  The mag. now is smooth as silk.  I can now load eight rounds and the slide closes like it should.  However, unless I smack the loaded mag home the cartridge will fail to feed.  Hopefully the new mag springs will help with that.

I did notice that I can load the mag. with 5 rounds and I am able to slide the rounds out with my thumb.  If I load 6 or more I have to take a wooden dowel to push the first few out.  I don't know if this is norml or once again a spring issue.  The lips of the mag. appear to be fine.

Thanks to your help Warbird , I am making progress.  Now if only those mag. springs would get here.....

Gray Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Well I have cleaned both of my original magazines.  Polished the followers and installed new Wolf + 5 % mag springs.  When loading more than 5 rounds it is a chore to get the last three in.  With the slide locked open I have to slam the magazine home for it to strip the top round and chamber it.  This only works about 2/3 of the time.  If I try to just push the mag home it usually fails to feed and gets jamed between the slide and ramp.  I have replaced the slide return with a Wolf spring.  I have never had this kind of issue with other semi autos.  Is this just the nature of the beast ?  If I close the slide, insert the magazine then rack the slide the round feeds every round most of the time.

I'm at a loss what to do next.  I sure need some imput.

Thanks

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
No, this is not normal operation of the HSc and I don't know why you would have installed +5% Magazine Springs since, of course, this would make it harder to load the Magazine.

Let's start at the beginning.  Unload the Magazine, rack the Slide open, and insert the Magazine.  Does the Slide close reliably on an empty Magazine?  Do this multiple times (the Magazine does not have to be withdrawn all the way).  Does the Slide close reliably?  Your checking the function and timing of the Magazine Safety.  You should not have to slam the Magazine home but simply push it in.  If this doesn't work all the time, you need to find out what is holding the Magazine back or why it is not releasing the Safety.

Let me know how this is working.

Gray Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
I installed + 5% springs because that is all that Wolf offers.  They claim more reliable feeding.  Since I have feeding problems, it made sense.  Even with both old mags & springs it is a bear to load over six rounds.  Then I can not push the rounds out of the mags with my fingers.  I have to use a dowel.  I have never had to do that with any other mag fed firearms.  I keep thinking that this may be the whole issue.  But what are the odds that both mags have the exact same problem?

With an empty mag I can push the mag in gently and the slide will snap shut every time.  If I try this with only one round in the mag it will either not strip the round or will lam catching the round at about a 45 degree angle between the slide and the feed ramp.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »
OK ... now I want you to take the Barrel out of the Slide and lock it onto the Frame.  With the Barrel in position, load an empty Magazine.  Does the top edge of the Magazine line up with the bottom of the Feed Ramp of the Barrel?  Also check the Slide edge just below the Firing Pin opening.  This is the edge that pushes the Round into the Chamber.  There should be some slight wear there but not much.

If all that checks out, be sure the loaded Round(s) are "popped" forward in the Magazine before loading.  Since you are familiar with Semi-Autos I know this is basic but I have to check.  Does it load properly?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:20:48 PM by Warbird »

Gray Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »
I did as instructed.  No slide barrel locked in place, the mag top edge is about a business card thickness from the bottom of the feed ramp that is milled into the frame.  The ramp in the frame meets the bottom of the barrel feed ramp perfectly.  With this set up I loaded a mag with new cartridges.  Using my thumb the round went up the ramp and chambered perfectly each time I tried.  Checked the bottom of slide under the firing pin area, no real wear there.  None of this made sense.  So.......

I took another look at both mags.  Took them apart, reassembled, worked the followers letting them snap in place.  Compressed the springs numerous times with a dowel.  Both mags were easier to load but still took some effort to load the eighth round.  Thumped the mags and noticed that the top round did not always postion properly, so I pushed down on the rounds a few times and thumped the mags.  Reassembled the pistol, locked the slide back inserted both mags with only light thumb pressure and every round chambered without a hick up.

I got to thinking and examined my dummy rounds I had been using.  The rims were rough from the extractor.  I am thinking that with all of the tight tolerances that the burrs on the dummy rounds retarded the feed just enough to cause problems.  (I know, dumb rookie mistake).

I have ordered some cheap grips and when they get here I will test fire the pistol and let you know what happens.

For now fresh catridges, paying close attention to the position of the top cartride even after bumping the mag seems to work well.

I wish to THANK YOU Warbird for your time and patience and working with me.  It is much appreciated.

That is what I like about forums like this.  There is always a couple of people willing to share their expertice with us less informed guys.  Hopefully I can help someone in the future as well.