Author Topic: 1914 Mauser Identification Assistance  (Read 5389 times)

stumblebum

• View Profile
1914 Mauser Identification Assistance
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »

Hi All.

Old guy, new to Mauser pocket pistols, but not firearms.  Love to get some help from the forum's brain trust please...  Picked this up recently at a gun show.  The photos do the condition of the pistol justice.  Everything seems proper and functional - though I've not fired it.  Yet.  I'm struggling with information regarding (precise) model designation and year of manufacture for this pistol.

The vendor labeled it a model 1934.

I'm wanting to call it a very late model 1914 - possibly made in 1932 or 1933?  It has Waffenamt stamps that the glare of the light obscures at the back of the left side of the frame.  I've intentionally obscured the last 3 digits of the serial number.

Comments?  Please & thank you.

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 Mauser Identification Assistance
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »
Stumblebum,

You have a 1914/34 transitional Mauser pocket pistol. The pure 1934s have a grip with a more pronounced curve. I think it would be more accurately called an early 34 variation. I can pin down the year of manufacture but you will have to provide me with the complete serial number for my research. You can send it to me via e-mail if you don't want to post it here. It is a less common variation. The markings you mentioned are most likely proof markings, A Crown/U, and not waffenamts which are military markings.

Regards, 
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

stumblebum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
Here are a couple more photos to clarify the other markings on the pistol.  The magazine is un-numbered.

1914mauser: I've messaged you - thanks!

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
Please don't shoot the messenger,

It is sad for me to have to be the one to tell you but the markings you highlighted were added to the pistol recently with the kind of stamps being sold on Ebay. They are bogus markings that were added to enhance value. Unfortunately, they have the opposite effect. The pistol was made in 1934 by the numbers you provided so it is one of the last of its variation before the change to the grip was made and in its very good condition would of had collector interest if not for the fake markings. I hope you are not too disappointed and that you did not pay too much for an example that you may not be able to recover. If you can track down the seller you have a case for fraud if the markings were represented as correct.

Regards, 

B. Mason
aim small, mis small

stumblebum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
Well, on the bright side I didn't pay any more for the pistol than seems typical on gunbroker & armslist for Mauser 1914s of similar vintage without Nazi markings.  Neither did I buy it because it had the markings - those would have been a bonus but are unimportant to me.  I'm pretty pleased with the condition of the piece, that was my primary motivation.

Since I'm here to be schooled on such things - how are you able to determine the waffenamt stamps are fake?  Because the waffenamt stamp code matches to 1938 or later?  The way the stamps are applied?  What?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:40:49 PM by stumblebum »

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
First they are not the right stamps, the size is off, the only waffenamted .32 caliber pocket models are true 1934s of higher serial number. if not for the stamps it would be a $450-550 example of a 1914/34 transitional but now value is around $300. A waffenamted 1934 in like condition would sell $800-1200 in the current market, prices are down I have seen them sell for $1500+ in excellent condition with accessories.

Regards,
B. Mason
aim small, mis small