Author Topic: Production date for post-war HSc  (Read 3633 times)

jtrim17376

• View Profile
Production date for post-war HSc
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »
I just discovered this site and am really hopeful I can get some help in finding out the history of my dad's HSc.  It's serial # is 954573 and has the RW hallmark on the left side of the trigger guard. It has the original black plastic grips.  I used the chart in another site and understand it was made during the French occupation in Germany.  I'd like to know, if possible, what month it was made.  It has the Eagle/N on the fight front slide.  My father was in the US Army stationed in France in the early 60's, and obtained it from the French mechanic who worked on our cars.  I understand that the Mausers made during the French occupation were destined for the French army in Indochina, so how did a mechanic in France get this pistol?  Were some sold commercially?  Did it come back from Indochina in 1954 in someone's duffel bag?  It's a very sweet shooter, my wife even like shooting it! I have some of the original 7.65 ammo that was in the magazine when my dad got it, dated 1940 (which originally made me think it was made in the 40's).  If there is any info you could share with me about this pistol would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:51:54 PM by Warbird »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Production date for post-war HSc
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum, jtrim.  Your HSc was produced in June 1945 during the Occupation after WWII.

You mention that there is an Eagle N on the Slide which is unusual in that it is a Firing Proof Mark from the Ulm Proofhouse that was not in operation after the war.  During the war this mark was also stamped on the right side of the Slide near the muzzle and on the Barrel Breech.  The Eagle N would indicate that this pistol was made from parts left over from Wartime production.

If your HSc is in relatively poor condition then it probably was brought back from Indochina.  Otherwise, the French also issued them to their police departments and possibly other government functionaries.  Hope that helps.  Anything else, let me know.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:57:55 PM by Warbird »