Author Topic: information on 1914 Mauser  (Read 3618 times)

baj

• View Profile
information on 1914 Mauser
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:56:15 AM »
I have a 1914 Mauser that, I believe, my father carried while working a mine in California prior to WWII. The serial number is 267875 and is marked on the left front slide, the frame back above the grip (over upside down GERMANY), and the last three didgests on the underside of the left side plate (?). The side plate has no Mauser logo. Inside of grips at back-strap marked with upper case B. There are various other marks on the frame under the grips: a J, F, and on the back-strap: 1, 2, a script upper case "D"(?), an M over P in script(?), and one on the spring I can't make out. Double crown over U behind the rear sight. I fired it quite a number of times (30+ years ago) and was impressed how accurate and pleasant it was to shoot.
Would you be so kind as to give me an approximate year of manufacture and any other information on this Mauser.
Thanking you in advance, baj

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: information on 1914 Mauser
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:51:57 AM »
baj,

Welcome to the forum! Your 1914 Mauser pocket model was made post WWI around 1921-22. Many of the markings you describe are manufacturing marks indicating the machine a part was produced on or an inspectors marking. The meaning of most of these is lost to history. The Crown/U is a proof marking indicating that the pistol passed safety testing. Yours is what I refer to as a War Era model which has similar features to examples produced from 1914-1921-(22). Yours is at the end of this variation without the sideplate Mauser Banner, which is a defining feature of this type of the model variation.
1914 Mauser War Era, type 3.

Regards,
B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small