Author Topic: Tempering safety lever  (Read 2287 times)

QuanLoi

• View Profile
Tempering safety lever
« on: June 22, 2023, 02:28:49 PM »
I've had two safety levers on my C96 crack due to, I assume, the age of the metal.  I have another safety lever ready to install.  Has any one had any experience tempering, with heat, the lever? I think it would be necessary to re-heat the steel after hardening in order to give it a "spring" quality.
Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

QuanLoi

• View Profile
Re: Tempering safety lever
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 01:08:39 PM »
What... no opinions?

henry bucki

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 05:38:29 PM »
I think i would just install the new safety and not try to put heat on it. i dont think they are too expensive. i have a bunch of c96s and never had to replace a safety . only a lock frame stop on a snellfeuer 

QuanLoi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 04:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  As stated, I'm on my third safety lever on this pistol... and I hesitate to actuate it.  So it's there in the firing position and I'm not going to move it!

Thanks again...

reiver1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 09:25:06 PM »
Safety lever?  The firing pin guide bolt stop?  If you are cracking those you are using ammunition that is too hot and/or all of your springs need replacing..recoil/hammer spring as the internal hammer spring also retards recoil.
I reload for my 111 year old C 96 but it is a tight pistol with original tolerances...if the pistol  is 'loose' by a Wolfe spring kit with a 10% increase in recoil retardation.
If it is Chinese and not a real Mauser good luck.

reiver1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 12:05:40 PM »
Check this.... cock the pistol/hammer.... grasp the barrel only, not touching the lower frame, and pull on the bolt cocking wings to see if you can 'open' the breech.  There should be no movement, or very very slight.  If it moves more than that you basically have a direct blow back non locking piece that is totally out of spec at the locking lugs.