Author Topic: Help pick and need stamp ID  (Read 1783 times)

buttermut

• View Profile
Help pick and need stamp ID
« on: September 23, 2023, 11:38:11 AM »
Brought home 2 c96 yesterday.  Funny thing is I got both off gunbroker and both listing ended about 1 min of each other and 2 different sellers. I couldn’t make up my mind on which to get so I said screw it. I’ll get both and keep the one I want and sell the other. The lanyard ring I will put on the one I would keep. Grips, probably will find a replacement online somewhere.
Prices on both were too good to pass up.
Now the dilemma. I can’t figure which one I want. Like the quote from highlander, “ there can only be one”😂. So I need y’all help picking and stamp ID.,
Both in similar shape and built about the same time. The stamps I am talking about. One is on each  c96.
I do have another stamp, it’s marked “Germany” on each side in small writing, is on #2 pistol in the picture. That’s not the pistol that has the star.  Love to figure what they are.  Thanks in advance.

Osmosis

• View Profile
Re: Help pick and need stamp ID
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 03:59:53 PM »

Congratulation and welcome to the club!
  I assume these are intended to be 'shooters' so let me first remind that you that should replace the recoil and hammer springs at least, since both are used to keep the bolt locked during firing.
  Now to your questions:
  Do they have matching serial numbers (should be in 4 locations I think), and what mfg date do the numbers on the frame indicate (I think these are M30's in 7.63mm like mine).
  Have you disassembled them and what condition are the interiors, firing pin, and bolt stop in?
  How are the barrels, and locking lugs (compare the bolts side-by-side).
  Yes replace the grips if they do not look original, and pay attention under the grips for rust and coat the inside of the grips with wax to prevent moisture from building up.
  Stamps: If you are in the USA then some of the stamps might be importer marks, and these can be a challenge to identify (mine had none).
  Tokarev ammo will fit but might be too hot so only shoot proper 7.63. But you can pull the tok bullets, dump the powder, and reload them.