Author Topic: What do you think of the new forum  (Read 22537 times)

mauserfan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What do you think of the new forum
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »
Don't everyone post at once!  What do you think of the new forum?  This is the same technology used on many other gun forums which should make things better going forwards.
 :P

Cheers!
Never Enough Mausers!

1914mauser

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of the new forum
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »
Still getting use to it. Doing some testing to find out how things work.
I like what I see so far.

B. Mason
NAPCA member, NRA life member
aim small, mis small

Like_Old_Guns

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »
Very nice to see a more conventional forum software application. I think it will increase participation and interaction.  I like it.
Roger
NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
Handgun Racks - http://www.ArmoryRacks.com

German Llama

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:16:05 AM »
I got to the old forum "late in its life" and found it to be a bit disjointed.
This is earier for me and I like to post photos with message, etc.
I am new to Mauser pistols and this forum. But this seems muey bien.

Bigboy99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
I think that the verification process is excessive.  Are all three of the "challenges" necessary?  I would think just the one with the scrambled letters would be sufficient.

Bill
Bill

There are no problems which can not be solved by the application of high explosives, Teflon tape or WD-40 but not necessarily in that order.

tburke

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:42:21 PM »
I think that the verification process is excessive.  Are all three of the "challenges" necessary?  I would think just the one with the scrambled letters would be sufficient.

Bill

Bill, spam is a huge problem for us.  The old forum had about 18,000 spam users that were auto-added by spam bots.  Very insecure. 
This new verification process is tough at first, but then after 3 posts in the forum some of them go away.  As we proceed and technology gets better we may loosen the process a bit.

Sarge

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 04:35:47 AM »
Got on and registered back in Apr and then have had major problems trying to get back on.  Thanx to help from the "Head Shed" I seem to have gotten around that problem.  I found that my old book mark was no good so had to go on the net and get back in that way.  I now have the new site bookmarked so hopefully no more problems. 
I like the new site.  It seem to be good and "airy and bright".  Still got a bit of getting used to, but I like it! 
So far I don't see many of the regulars from the old site here.  Where the heck are they?   
To bad our post count and original date of sign up don't transfer over from the old site.  Now everyone is a newby. 
Is the old site going to be available indefinately?  If not are our photo archeives going to be saved?  That was sometime good reference to be able to go look at photos that had been previously filed there.  I don't see a similar place on the new site.
Sarge 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:53:03 AM by Sarge »
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFE  MEMBER:  NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Duster42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 06:33:03 PM »
I like the new forum.  :)
U.S. Army Viet Nam Vet '68-69'
NRA Benefactor Member
 Free men do  not ask permission to bear  arms

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
It is very professional and well designed. 

Jim
Jim

Stewart

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
Really like it!

tburke

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »
Don't forget the old forum is still available at: http://old.mauserguns.com/forum/

JDPR03

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »
 ;D Great site - really intuitive and the navigation is one of the best I've seen.  The community is awesome. Have learned so much just from reading the posts.
What drives the profile category from Newbie (me) to Jr. Member to Full Member?

Biker86

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
I joined after the change to the new forum, so I can't compare it to the old one. But this is a very nice format and it is well organized. I'm a member of several other firearms collector forum and the format of this one compares well to those. The verification process is a drag, but if it keeps down the spam that's okay.
Thank you for operating this forum! I've only made one post here because my knowledge and experience with Mausers is limited. But I'm learning a lot here.

tburke

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »
I joined after the change to the new forum, so I can't compare it to the old one. But this is a very nice format and it is well organized. I'm a member of several other firearms collector forum and the format of this one compares well to those. The verification process is a drag, but if it keeps down the spam that's okay.
Thank you for operating this forum! I've only made one post here because my knowledge and experience with Mausers is limited. But I'm learning a lot here.

Biker86 - Thanks.  Yes, the verification process keeps the spam to practically none... compared to the old forum software which was a regular problem.  Once you make 3-4 posts the verification goes away... after that you are trusted.   BTW- what do you ride? (your handle leads me to think you ride motorcycles??)

tburke

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
What drives the profile category from Newbie (me) to Jr. Member to Full Member?
Good question:
Newbie status is new users until they make 20 posts.
Jr. is 21-50
Full is 51-100
Sr. is 101-150
Hero is 151+

So get out there and stir up some conversations!  :-)