Author Topic: Nickel plated HSc information  (Read 8921 times)

SDR313

• View Profile
Nickel plated HSc information
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »
I recently inherited a Mauser-Werke A.G. Oberndorf a.N. Mod. HSc Kal. 7.65 mm. From the research i have conducted (only 2 days!) I can only find examples of pistols that have blued finish. Mine appears to have a nickel finish, with black plastic grips. There are two numbers that appear on the pistol, first is on the forward part magazine well (970446) and the second number is on the bottom of the magazine well (2179). Is there anyone who can help me decipher these numbers and provide me a resource to research the history of this pistol further? Thank You

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nickel plated HSc information
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Your HSc was made after the war during the French Occupation and Supervision of the Mauser factory in May 1946.  The serial number (970446) places it as one of the last produced in this period.  The other number (2179) is believed to be serialized for the French Police.

Unfortunately, the Nickel finish is not from the factory and was done after the veteran returned to the U.S.  It is unfortunate because that refinish destroys any collector value this HSc might have had.  If there is anything else let me know.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
Nice late number.  Good find.   Enjoy it.

Jim
Jim

SDR313

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
Apparently my wife’s grandfather obtained the pistol from a US Army helicopter pilot in 1967. The pilot sold it to her grandfather for $50 (he still has the handwritten receipt with all the names including another officer who was the witness of the sale!!). This pilot had acquired the pistol sometime in 1965 and was returning back to the United States and wanted to sell it to her grandfather for personal protection. He said that it had come in handy on several occasions. I will try to have him elaborate on what those occasions might have been. The pistol came with two magazines and the original black holster. It’s a pretty neat little pistol and I would like to learn more about it. Thank you for all of the information that has been provided so far!

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
I would be interested in you describing the magazines.

Jim
Jim

SDR313

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
Jim,
The magazines are standard Mauser mags. It looks as tho one magazine might have been polished to match the pistol. The other mag is definitely unmolested and shows 65 years of normal wear. The only markings that are visible is the Mauser logo that is stamped on the bottom of the magazine.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »
Thank you for that description.

Jim
Jim