Author Topic: Learning to hand polish feed ramp. First time.  (Read 8619 times)

Laufer

• View Profile
Learning to hand polish feed ramp. First time.
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:16:47 AM »
We don't have a Dremel or such. A few minutes watching Youtube indicates that a tiny bit of 600 grit sandpaper rubbed with a pencil eraser (as a grip) for a while can produce a much shinier surface, which was done on that guy's PPK's feed ramp.
I've never polished metal or wood, for that matter. But that guy had impressive results.

The problem: my WW2 Hsc has a new recoil spring, which did Not help with rounds constantly hanging up/"freezing" while still partly in the feed lips, jamming the slide. The magazine and gun are very clean and there is a bit of gun grease on the frame's rails. The ammo is new fmj.

A new mag spring is on the way from Wolff, though I don't see how a stiffer spring would help rounds which are only pushed part way forward in the magazine's lips, where they stop.
Is there any problem with hand polishing using 600 grit sandpaper etc? ??? And how about the tiny area on the frame just Below the feed ramp?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:19:57 AM by Laufer »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to hand polish feed ramp. First time.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »
I have never seen the need to polish the ramp on any of my HSc's.  Or any other semi-auto for that matter, in order for it to function properly.  It is usually given as a "to do" by someone who doesn't know the mechanics of a pistol because it sounds important.

Since you have a new Recoil Spring in the Slide, the Magazine is the next logical place to look.  It could be retarding the round just enough to cause a partial feed.  A good cleaning inside the Magazine as well as a new Magazine Spring should solve your problem.  Hopefully, you are using an original Mauser Magazine and not an after-market type that may or may not work.  The only other thing would be bent lips on the Magazine that would hold the round too tight for proper feeding.

Hope that helps.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Please tell me about your HSc and give this forum an idea, if the example should be at the range as a shooter or in your collection as a piece of world war history?  Bad things can happen to old, original wood grips over time when you take them out to a range.

Jim :o     
Jim

Laufer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 02:22:51 AM »
jcorl: The objective is only to make this Hsc (my first) fairly reliable, and though it is a collector and many guys seem to avoid using collector guns, it would be much more rewarding if it can be brought up to a fairly operational status. If this somehow works, then the frustration will be resolved. Thanks for the info, but the grips won't be an issue for quite a while...it seems.

My first handgun -the Sauer 38H- was acquired a year ago (age 58), and when the mag is fully seated, in stark contrast to the Hsc, its primary operation is basically perfect, just needs a decocking spring 'touch' by the gun smith now and then.

Having read hours about the WW2 and post-war Hsc types with the notorious unreliability of so many, I will feel fortunate if this machine can be improved to only have a Fail To Feed once every twenty/thirty rounds.

The new (7,65) mag spring  from Wolff will arrive within a day or two. And, instead of only using the Newer recoil spring, a guy at THR suggests using the original spring to change the slide's timing, or other combinations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:56:45 AM by Laufer »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
Just call me Jim.   I also like all my HSc pistols to be in operational condition.  My concern that I mention is not like the P.38 that can explode with the wrong +P ammo, but that the original HSc grips over time do become a tad bit brittle.  I have gone to sweetheart grips for my shooter.   Good luck with your HSc.   

Jim
Jim

Laufer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »
Jim, a miracle happened today. The 40 min. spent on first Hand polishing (or any polishing) of a feed ramp could have helped a small amount. The finest grit sand paper at Loews was 400, used in numerous tiny squares in a small vertical motion, perpendicular to the horiz. machine marks.

As a random combination alternative, used the other aftermarket magazine (but spring felt possibly weaker) and what might be the original recoil spring, leaving the newer Wolff in the bag.

Out of about fifty shots, there was only one FTF (feed). Could not believe it, and maybe it will last if nothing gets changed.
It would be best not to put much wear on a collector gun, but to have it working really well -so far- was rewarding.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
Most pleased to learn of your feeding success.  Hope is was a straight shooter.  Sounds like it was a good day at the range.

Jim

Jim