Author Topic: Interarms imported HSc 380  (Read 9581 times)

rabbit hunter

• View Profile
Interarms imported HSc 380
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
I recently acquired a NIB HSc 380. It is #44xx of 5000 imported by Interarms. It has the original 3 shot factory target and owners manual in the original box I'm wondering if I should shoot it or hang onto it as a collectors item? It's really a beauty.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Interarms imported HSc 380
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
Hello rabbit hunter and welcome to the forum.  I'll be glad to discuss your HSc with you including a little history but you will have to share the complete serial number for the information.  Be waiting to hear from you.

rabbit hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. The serial # is "4194 of 5000". I realize that is a peculiar type of serial number, but there are no other numbers on the pistol that I can find. I forgot to mention that the original two magazines are with the gun.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
Your HSc was produced in 1977 as part of the "American Eagle Edition".  This was the final 5,000 HSc's to come out of the Mauser factory in Oberndorf, Germany and celebrated the American Bicentennial.  As such, The Great Seal of the United States of America is etched into the right side of the Slide and the Interarms import information was placed on the frontstrap of the Grip.  At this time, Mauser was a final assembly operation since most of the parts of the HSc were made primarily in France by Manurhin.  The Magazines were produced in The Netherlands.

You have to decide if you think this 40-year-old pistol is, or will become, a collectible in the future.  I have to say that in my experience, in .380 caliber the HSc does have a tendency to break parts, so anticipate this when and if you take it to the range.  Replacement parts could get expensive.  Hope all this helps and let me know if there is anything else.

rabbit hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
Gee, I'm sorry to hear the 380 HSc is fragil. Can you tell me which parts are the most likely to fail? I reload my own ammo and usually fire reduced loads (95 gr LRN ahead of 2.2 grs of TiteGroup.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
Offhand, I can recall failures of the Trigger Hinge Pin and Hammer Hinge Pin Head.  I don't know the consequences of using reduced load .380 ammo.  The HSc was designed in 1939 and 1940 for the .32 ACP round and, as such, was one of the finest Pocket Pistols ever made.  Using .380 ammo probably pushes it to the edge of its design parameters.

Alternate Option 1) Install a 1970's vintage .32 caliber Barrel and Recoil Spring (Wartime Barrels may or may not lock up to the Frame) or Option 2) don't shoot it.  Again, your proposed use of reduced load ammo is speculative and unproven.

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
After weighing some slides, I actually discovered that the .380 HSc slides are lighter than their .32 counterparts.

Somehow the .380 slides lost 4 grams in weight.
The average weight of a .32 ACP slide is 200 grams, that of a .380 slide is 196 grams.

The combination of a larger caliber and a lighter slide is not the key to success, I think :)

rabbit hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »
Thanks to Warbird & vlim for the help & information. Warbird, I'm presuming that the .380 version was born after the Germans lost control. I cannot visualize Mauser allowing such a conversion w/o a thorough review and testing to verify the design. Maybe the design would be adequate using modern metallurgy. Guess we'll never know now since it's unlikely to ever see HSc production again.
I'll look into a 32 ACP barrel & spring, but it's more likely mine will become a safe queen.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
Actually, the first ever .380 Mauser HSc was shipped in March 1969 after Samuel Cummings at Interarms negotiated reviving their Wartime design.  The .380 was focused on the U.S. market because of its appeal to that audience over the .32 which was much preferred in Europe.

vlim

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
To add to the post war story: the main components of the slide and frame were made by Manurhin in France. Mauser did the final assembly.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
I have a Rockwell Hardness tester.  I can tell you if modern metallurgy is playing a role in reduced weight.  All I need is a post war slide that someone wants to put thru the test. 

Jim
Jim