Author Topic: 1942 Mauser HSc  (Read 25085 times)

Josefius

• View Profile
1942 Mauser HSc
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »
I picked this up a few days ago, I believe it's a 1942 HSc with a serial number of 803xxx. It has the eagle over N on the slide, barrel and on the bottom right trigger guard, but no waffenampt on the left trigger guard.
Hi, I'm new here, but I want to share this Mauser HSc I picked up with the serial number 803280 a few days ago, I believe it was made in 1942. It's a commercial model, since it doesn't have a waffenampt on the left lower trigger guard. It does have the eagle over n on the right trigger guard, front slide and the barrel. I'm just curious how rare it is.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:10:30 AM by Josefius »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 1942 Mauser HSc
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »
Joe,

Thanks for sharing your nice photos of your new HSc example.  "Warbird" is the authoritative resource on the subject and he can provide you the best answer that you seek.  I enjoyed seeing your photos and had to chime in with my congratulations to you.  Have your checked to see, if the slide and barrel have matching serial numbers?  If you have trouble finding them, just say so.  Just a question. What is on the bottom of your mag base, if anything?  Also, I like your choice of cleaning tools as seen in your photo.  Where did you get those nice picks? 

Jim   
Jim

Josefius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
All serial numbers match, there is nothing on the bottom of the magazine, which I thought was strange. I thought at least it should have the Mauser logo. I got the polymer gun tools from amazon, I just did a search and read the reviews. They work pretty well for me. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:24:38 PM by Josefius »

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:06:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Josefius!
Your HSc was indeed made in 1942 ... November to be precise.  It is a common Commercial variation which accounted for about 24% of the total Mauser HSc production.  Most of the production went to the Army (54%), then Commercial (24%), followed by Police (12%) and finally the Navy (11%).  You can view production by year in the attachment to my Sticky, "HSc Production Chart".

This example is somewhat worn with a chip off the right Grip Panel.  The blank Floorplate on your Magazine is entirely appropriate for this Peak Wartime vintage.  I would place the value at between $500 and $600.  Anything else, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:10:32 PM by warbird »

Josefius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
Thanks Warbird, Im curious about how to remove the safety lever to remove the firing pin for cleaning. I looks like it would be similar in how the Walther PPK would be, by turning the lever half way. Any pointers would be appreciated, since I know how fragile the fireing pins are.

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »
I wouldn't recommend removing the Firing Pin for cleaning.  However, if you must, you will have to use two small screwdrivers to push the Firing Pin and Safety Barrel Plunger (on the Extractor side) slightly forward to clear the Safety Barrel.  Then pull the Safety Lever out of the Slide.  Reassembly would be the opposite procedure.

CAUTION:  If you lose control of the Safety Plunger, its Spring and the Extractor Plunger could come out and be lost.  Also the Extractor may drop out of the Slide.  Again, I wouldn't recommend doing it unless the Firing Pin is broken and must be replaced.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
Joe,

If you do this operation, let me know how successful you were.  I am with Warbird on this 100%.  I also don't recommend this.  All types of bad things can happen.  They did to me!  Good luck, if you are brave enough.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:49:26 PM by jcorl »
Jim

Josefius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:20:59 PM »
I took her to the range today with some 7,65 Browning 73 grain ammo. Shot flawlessly. However, I noticed that it doesn't go into full battery with a round with the safety on when inserting a magazine. When I disengage the safety and insert a magazine and the slide closes, it works just fine. As well as firing an entire magazine, it works great. It also gives me decent hammer bite, I don't know if it's because I have large hands or I'm not holding it tight enough to control recoil. I will not be touching the firing pin and safety switch, it works just fine. I should probably get some after market grips and put the originals away for safe keeping. Here's more pictures:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:35:57 PM by Josefius »

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »
Good idea about the aftermarket grip idea!

Jim
Jim

Josefius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
I have a question, Is it normal to have a problem chambering a round with the safety on? Both racking the slide and having the magazine close the slide on insertion fails to go into battery with a round, with the safety off, it functions fine. maybe the magazine needs cleaning? Or is that as intended?

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 06:13:06 PM »
You may think this a strange answer to your question.  I am a collector of the HSc.  I purchased an example or two for my son to shoot in the "shooter grade catagory" and I have fired his HSc only once.   That means I am not qualified to respond.  I am sure some shooters on the forum will jump in.  Hope your hand is recovering.  That looked like it hurt.

Jim   
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:07:59 AM »
No it's not normal.  The problem has to go back to the extended cams on the Sear.  If you could take the Slide off and post a good picture of the Sear I might be able to help.

Josefius

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »
No it's not normal.  The problem has to go back to the extended cams on the Sear.  If you could take the Slide off and post a good picture of the Sear I might be able to help.

jcorl

• Trusted Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
I am looking forward to Warbird's observation.  Nice photos. 

Jim
Jim

Warbird

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »
The Firing Pin looks like it's installed upside down.  Other than that, everything else looks OK.